Saturday, February 4, 2017

Vocal recording session vol1

I did mention "vocal experiment sessions if I'm inspired" earlier, right? Yeah, I know I did. I thought I'd at least do some experiments with styles and soundscapes regarding vocals recording. I thought already weeks ago that I'd record these SF vocals in a specific, experimental way, too. So yes, I did do several short vocal experiments around 11 am today. What happened, is that I found the sound and settings much faster than what I thought. It took perhaps 30+ minutes only. After that I ... was like "ok, let's go and try record some vocals, then!" .. and that's what I did.

It was a long session. Closer to 9 hours today, quite a saturday all right! Full day's work practically. I kept singing & recording and drinking water. Record a verse, take few sips of water, record a verse, take ... repeat, repeat ... repeat. In the end I was stunned about the amount of work I got done, really: 11 songs now have base level vocals, or should I say one layer of vocals. And what is funny, it's that they are done in true sewer vocal style - meaning this is a real return to roots album, hah! Though I can say my skill for sewer vocals seems to be much better these days than it was years ago. Perhaps not doing them at all has improved the skill, ha! You see, the last time I used sewer style was "the awakening" release in 2002. But this will be different though; back then I had nothing else but the sewer vocals and it was rather flat in that way.

Back then I also didn't know much about recording layered vocals, I was only starting to understand all that bit better then (and first time tried layered vocals on "menacing ep" 2003 with Taito on vocals). Now ... I have this idea that the sewer vocal style is the base of the vocals, and I'll do different screamy / shouting / nutcase'ish vocals as another layer. I already tried this today with 2 songs and the result was something I really liked a lot. It means a lot of vocalworks though, 22 songs is practically at least 44 songs, if recording all the lines twice. In some cases I might end up having three layers of vocals so ... lots of vocals to be recorded. It'll be both challenging and rewarding - and of course fun.

I'm planning to continue recording the sewer vocals tomorrow. If things go well, I might be able to get all of them recorded which leaves the other vocal styles to be recorded in coming days & weeks (or weekends).

Oh ... and some visual evidence below. In space no one can hear you grind ... or was it scream? ^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment