Monday, February 13, 2017

Continuing them sessions

Only had time to continue recording the vocals yesterday. Actually it's more like going into experimental sessions first, for now. I knew what kind of base layer vocals (sewer style) I wanted, but now I'm experimenting first with what kind of vocals work best mixed with them. It's also about the overall sound, doing my best to keep it together - keep it under control sort of but at the same time letting it "grind out" sonically speaking.

I chose a really sweaty song for the first experiment. Or to be honest, this is not the first one since I have two short songs pretty much completed and the layered vocals in them are quite freaky, high pitched screaming with distortion. So I do have an idea what and how to experiment, but I also have an idea about certain songs having bit different vocals. Perhaps. Anyway, while the already experimented two songs are short bursts of grind, yesterday I went on with the opening song - which is the longest song of the pack. It's the song I happened to make very first, back in mid'December when I thought it would be whole new music project. And as it happens, both the opening and closing songs are long ones and they have awful long set of lyrics if compared to all the other songs. So, ... no wonder it took time and voice to complete vocal experiment on the opening song yesterday.

I'm not yet sure if it came out exactly the way I wanted - but initially I felt it's getting there and the layered vocals made the song feel more hectic. I guess it tells something about the style, if I say how my wife described me recording those vocals; she came from other room, with spooky face, stating that "wtf? you sound like a witch!" ... hah! It made me laugh as it's in a way quite a fitting description. Though unsurprisingly I wasn't exactly thinking about imitating some witches burned at the stake or stuff like that, but perhaps more like how Alan Dubin sounded during his OLD days. :)

Anyway; the experiments shall continue. The opening song might be a sweaty experiment (which is sure is even that it's not so furious than most of the other songs are) but it's also a good one for experimenting certain styles / vocal sound ideas at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment