Saturday, January 28, 2017

Currently drawing

I started doing something I was thinking about doing already several years ago; improving the Scumfusion logo. With improving I don't mean "changing", but simply improving, working with tiny details. Pixelcrafting with drawing board.

I can admit that I was recently briefly thinking about "should I perhaps redesign the logo?" but I didn't think about that more than a day or so. I even did try some different designs but while some of them might have fitted the new album cover, it still didn't feel right. Combined with that, I thought how I've personally felt with my fave bands changing their logos in past (like Napalm Death, first example that comes to mind) ... I've never liked it when it happens, and it always raises questions like f.e. "don't they respect their roots anymore?"... It's kind of interesting matter to think; it's a simple logo, word or two drawn, right? That's it. Or then not. As a logo has been used for a long time, it's much more than just some words drawn. It's visual design, something that has sticked to mind, and especially something you identify the artist with.

What made me think about logo change at all, was primarily some technical details - nothing visually wrong with the logo itself. I was also thinking about how the Scumfusion logo came to exist; I asked a friend, graphic designer called Andrew Cramer to draw me a simple logo for SF. So he did. That happened during early 2006 or so. The logo was first time used in "under exoriant light" album, which was also the first album containing Timo. The logo has been in use ever since. It's funny to think nowadays that I never had a proper logo for SF prior to 2006. But that's how it was. I didn't care, I saw SF just a funny little online project I did and I didn't care about album artwork back then either (that's why none of the early SF releases has official cover artwork - there never was any!) ...

... so, now recently I thought that as I'm doing SF as one man band again (first time since 2002), would there be point to change the logo also because of that? Not just the technical issues I have had with the one and only official SF logo? I didn't have to think about that for long, either. Because it didnt't make any sense as a reason for changing logo. Why would I change a perfectly working logo which has served me well ever since it was created? There simply isn't any reason to change it. So what I started doing then? I started doing some heavy graphic work today with the logo. Not changing it, but "cleaning" it (for lack of better word) and then drawing over it, improving the borders of letters. It all begun with getting the logo as black on white background (original logo is slimy green on black background - check out "under exoriant light" front cover and you see why). I'm doing all this simply to get a logo, that's way more easily "usable" when layering it with front cover artwork and stuff. To be able to work with colors, too, notably more easily. To get the kind of impact I want - also to make the logo more clear, more "striking", kind of.

It's also nice work to do now, this artwork stuff - I've managed to keep out from the new SF material for a day or two now ... so, yeah. Might be able to work with the back cover artwork for the new album this weekend, too. But now, first ... the logo work. See the visual evidence below, work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment